; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Wednesday 23 October 2013

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

"I'm crying at the Cobalt!" my friend turned to me and exclaimed last night during a performance of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, now on at the historical Vancouver establishment.


I first saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch back when it came out as a movie over ten years ago, and fell in love with it immediately. I then had the opportunity to go see it at the old Lotus Hotel and marveled at its live incarnation. With news that Neil Patrick Harris will finally be taking it to Broadway for the first time, I knew that I would give anything to fly to New York to see that! But why bother with all the airfare and accommodations when you can just cross over to other side (East Van) and see the show the way it was meant to be seen - in an intimate dive-bar type setting. (No offense to the Cobalt at all, I love the Cobalt, and it's the perfect venue for this!)


The Kat Gillis Band plays live as the "Angry Inch" band, rocking out and slowing it down perfectly with each number. Lee McKeown as sidekick Yitzhak is an absolute marvel, and then there is the lead, Mr Ryan Alexander McDonald as Hedwig. Whoa. I mean, you have to give the man props for basically carrying the entire show on his shoulders. Singing and acting for the most part all on his own, he puts himself through the gauntlet and comes out shining like the brightest star. The entire cast and crew deserved the standing ovation that the audience bestowed upon them last night.

I have minor criticisms: I wish the screen with the imagery being projected on it was a bit more visible, but that's probably more to do with the location of the Cobalt's projector, so they worked with what they got. At first I found Alexander's Hedwig a little too polished and I wanted someone harder and worn-out, but by the time he collapses on the stairs to sing the first few lines of Wig In a Box, I got my harder/worn-out Hedwig right there! "On nights like this... when the world's a bit amiss... "  TEARS. INSTANT TEARS.

So what are you waiting for already Vancouver? Put your wig in a box, grab a sugar daddy, and go discover the origin of love! Hedwig and The Angry Inch is on NOW at the Cobalt until November 2.  (Half price tickets on the day of are also sometimes available at Tickets Tonight.)

And P.S. - Dear Ghost Light Projects, where have you BEEN all my life? Thanks for bringing this production to town, and I am STOKED for your upcoming season. Check out what they've got lined up! CLUE THE MUSICAL! BOYS IN THE BAND!? I CANNOT WAIT!

And here's a perfect Hedwig song to add to your Halloween playlist:


No comments:

Post a Comment