; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: We Are The Robots exhibit at Vancouver Art Gallery

Friday 5 October 2018

We Are The Robots exhibit at Vancouver Art Gallery

I renewed my membership at the Vancouver Art Gallery just so I could go over and over again to Kevin Schmidt's We Are The Robots exhibit, which features an audiophile's dream listening room. In this sound-proofed space, visitors are invited to bring in their vinyl records to take a spin on the turntable and be listened to in this custom-made space that includes giant speakers designed for maximum sound detailing, and panelled walls made from reclaimed kitchen countertops to help with the acoustics.

Today I went in and put on some Kylie Minogue and Madonna. I thought I was early enough so that I could avoid having to explain my music taste to strangers, but no such luck. One woman came in with her family and heard the Madonna blasting and said to her husband, "This is my idea of Hell." We ended up chatting and I told her about the exhibit and then asked what vinyl record she would bring in if she could, and she said she would probably bring in The Cure.

This exhibit ends on October 28, so get to the art gallery to see it while you can! And bring your records!!




No comments:

Post a Comment