; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: When Marnie Was There

Sunday 7 June 2015

When Marnie Was There

I know, I know. It's so amazingly sunny outside, why would anyone in their right mind want to go into the dark confines of a movie theatre? Does it help if I tell you that there's air conditioning and the seats are super comfortable over at the Vancity Theatre?

Well, if that's not enough to persuade you, then at least let me tell you about the Japanese anime I went to see the other day, When Marnie Was There.



Beautiful and tender are the two words I would use to describe this tale of Anna, a young girl sent to the countryside to try and cope with her bouts of depression and asthma. While there, she meets a mysterious but loving girl named Marnie and their two worlds get intertwined until the mystical revelation is discovered at the film's climax.

"Perhaps the last film destined to come from the legendary Studio Ghibli, this beautifully animated tale would make a worthy swansong."

When Marine Was There plays at the Vancity Theatre on June 13 & 14. (Told in original Japanese with English subtitles)

No comments:

Post a Comment