; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: The Taming of the Shrew

Wednesday 24 June 2015

The Taming of the Shrew


Starting today (June 24) through this Saturday, June 27, Stone’s Throw Productions is presenting the classic Shakespeare comedy The Taming of the Shrew but with a 1950s spin.

This is a great idea. I love Shakespeare, I love the esthetic of the 1950s, and I think it is a neat idea to compare the strict gender norms of the fifties to a Shakespeare show that is often interpreted through the feminist lens. Taming of the Shrew is the love story of brass Petruchio and his witty intellectual Kate, who has a tendency to think for herself in a society that frowns on women, you know, doing that. Screwball banter and hilarity ensues. The show is produced through an apprentice program at Pacific Theatre, which gives emerging producers support to create their own shows. I’m looking forward to seeing this show; I’m hoping it will be Grease-meets-Olde-English-meets-10 Things I Hate About You.

 Playing June 24-27, Wednesday – Saturday at 8pm at Pacific Theatre, 1440 W 12th Ave. Tickets $10 by calling 604.731.5518 or visit pacifictheatre.org

-------
update: 

I throughly enjoyed myself at The Taming of the Shrew by Stone's Throw Production this weekend.  While I've seen this show a few times before, I thought it was clever to put it in the context of the 1950s, and I loved the costumes, especially Kate's tea length wedding gown! While I thought all the actors were spot on, I particularly liked the performances of Adelleh Furseth as Biondella and Cheyenne Mabberley as Baptista, both stealing every scene they were in. It was a great show and I look forward to the next production from Stone's Throw.


(written by guest blogger Roxanne Kalenborn

No comments:

Post a Comment