; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: A+ for "A... My Name Is Alice" !

Friday 16 August 2013

A+ for "A... My Name Is Alice" !

I had never before heard of the musical, A... My Name Is Alice! What could this possibly be, I wondered.

Turns out, it's a fantastic frolic into the lives of the everyday woman. Conceived back in 1983 and debuting in New York City, this hidden gem finds new life right here in the Lower Mainland at the Studio 1398 theatre on Granville Island!

(photo from The Georgia Straight)

Each song seemed to be better than the next - a good sign where musicals are concerned! There isn't much of a storyline, if you're looking for your traditional Broadway show. Rather, it's more of a revue, with each song telling a different story of its own - whether it's about two sisters being there for each other, a first date, or a bored secretary, each number is completely different from other, shedding light on the diverse variety of the lives of women.

My favourites included the "For Women Only Poems" executed with the utmost deadpan by Michelle T. Baynton and "The French Monologue & Song" sung "tres bien" by the hilariously talented Rosie Simon.

A... My Name is Alice is a much welcomed breath of fresh air in these desolate days of August. It had us laughing uncontrollably at one point, then near shedding a tear in the next. Thank you to director Rick Tae for dusting off this forgotten show and bringing it right to the forefront!

A...My Name Is Alice runs now until August 25 at Studio 1398 (Granville Island)! Go See It! !

No comments:

Post a Comment