; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Theatre Under the Stars: SCHOOL OF ROCK

Saturday 13 July 2024

Theatre Under the Stars: SCHOOL OF ROCK

Full disclosure: I am not a huge fan of watching children sing in musicals. Does that make me a terrible person? Probably. It's just not my cup of tea, so sue me. 

With that being said however, I was wowed by the kids in Theatre Under the Stars' School of Rock musical and I will tell you why and how I got there. 

The people I attended the show with LOVE the movie School of Rock, on which the musical adaptation is based. I had no idea this too was an Andrew Lloyd Webber vehicle until last night. When the show began, I found the pacing of things to be a bit off. This could just also be my bias against musicals based on movies. Not a fan of those. 


TUTS 2024. Colin Sheen, with members of the youth cast in School of Rock. Photo by Emily Cooper

Colin Sheen holds down the fort as the main character Dewey Finn, portrayed memorably on screen by Jack Black. Colin can sing, dance, play instruments, and literally anchors the whole show as he is in almost every scene. Also he has to work with children? I pity the fool. But stay with me here, as I stayed with Colin and the kids and went on this journey that warmed my heart and had me in tears by the end of the evening...

Closer to the second half of Act 1 and definitely all of Act 2, I was engaged and invested. If you're not familiar with the storyline, Dewey Finn is an out-of-luck musician who winds up "teaching" at a prestigious private school - except he's faking his identity and pretending to be his best friend, who is an acclaimed teacher while Dewey has no business in front of a classroom. He leads the kids into learning about rock music and hopes to enter them into a local Battle of the Bands. 

 


TUTS 2024. Colin Sheen, with members of the youth cast in School of Rock. Photo by Emily Cooper

The audience at opening night was feisty, and I hope that continues for this production throughout the summer. The energy of the crowd really helps feed what's going on up on the stage. From the start of the program when the emcee shouted out Kiss lyrics: "I wanna rock and roll all night...!" 

To which the crowd promptly called back: "... and party every day!" 


 TUTS 2024. Colin Sheen, with members of the youth cast in School of Rock. Photo by Emily Cooper

The audience participation did not stop there, and I am not even counting all the cheers and applause that the performers got whenever they played their instruments. Yes, that's right. These CHILDREN are playing live instruments right there on the stage in front of you! There's no air guitar! That's real guitar!  Those are real drums and keyboards and bass! COME ON. 

Near the end when they are announcing the winner of the Battle of the Bands, the entire audience was up in arms chanting out SCHOOL OF ROCK! SCHOOL OF ROCK! 

TUTS 2024. Colin Sheen, with members of the youth cast in School of Rock. Photo by Emily Cooper

If you want a rockin' night out that will have you laughing and crying and cheering on the underdog, then go see SCHOOL OF ROCK at Theatre Under The Stars, alternating nightly with CATS all summer until August 24. 


No comments:

Post a Comment