; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Theatre Under the Stars: CATS

Friday 12 July 2024

Theatre Under the Stars: CATS


TUTS 2024. Left to right_October Penningroth, Owen CB Scott, Jaren Guerreiro, Colton Bamber, Anna Smith. Photo by Emily Cooper


I'm a cat person. I'm also a musicals guy. I kinda low-key hate the CATS musical. I saw it when I was in my teens and had no idea what was happening. I do love the song Memory, however. 

Over the years, CATS has grown on me. Perhaps, like a cat, I just needed to warm up to it. The score is familiar. I sang Mr Mistoffelees with my Grade 7 class in elementary school. And of course, there's the movie version. I saw it in the theatre and was still slightly confused, even though I knew what the plot was supposed to be now. I am excited about the "ballroom" themed vogueing CATS remount happening in New York right now, aptly subtitled The Jellicle Ball. 

So when Theatre Under the Stars announced they were doing CATS as one of their shows this year, I was a bit unenthusiastic. But then I attended on opening night... 


 TUTS 2024. The cast of CATS. Photo by Emily Cooper

Maybe it's age and I've been around long enough, but this production was the most I've ever understood the plot in the times that I've seen the show. I knew exactly what was going on! So kudos to the direction on this for being able to successfully translate to the stage a show that can be quite polarizing. 

CATS is a dance show, and TUTS has done a superb job in delivering a purr-fect evening of entertainment for the whole family. For any newbies who may go to the show not knowing what to expect, all you need to know is that on this special night, one cat gets chosen to be "reborn" and they are all vying for that spot. 


 TUTS 2024. Sarah Lane as Grizabella. Photo by Emily Cooper

And then the moment that everyone was waiting for: Memory. When Grizabella takes the stage, to deliver this iconic number, she does not disappoint. With the stars in the evening sky sparkling above you, the smoke machine and dimmed lights on the stage, the performance of Memory is literally everything. Go see CATS for that alone. But don't forget about the tap dancing cockroaches, the comedy relief of Bustopher Jones, the earworm of "Macavity's not there!" and the sensuality of Rum Tum Tugger. 


 TUTS 2024. The cast of CATS. Photo by Emily Cooper

All of these ingredients come together to create a purr-fect production! CATS is on tonight at Theatre Under the Stars and alternates with School of Rock until August 23. 


No comments:

Post a Comment