; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Urinetown The Musical

Saturday 1 February 2020

Urinetown The Musical

I've now seen Urinetown the Musical three times in my life.

The first time I saw it was on Broadway back in the early 2000s and I walked out at Intermission because I thought it was absolutely stupid and I was in New York and didn't want to waste my time there watching that shlock.

The second time I saw it was at the Firehall Arts Centre and I stuck it through, though I don't really recall much about the show itself.

Now, taking a turn at this musical comedy satire is the talented group of students over at Studio 58. And I have to say, it's the best production I've seen of it yet. If you're looking for a night out filled with side-splitting fun, then this show is just the barrel of laughs for you. 

The story centers around a town where water is at a shortage and people need to pay in order to pee. It might be easy to say that Gabriel Covarrubias steals every scene that he's in (he does) but you'd also have to give props to the fantastic and hilarious choreography of Julie Tomaino. You'd also have to marvel at all the lines, singing, and dancing that Liam Stewart-Kanigan has under his belt as the narrator and lead cop, Officer Lockstock. Best singer? Hands down it's Caleb Dyks as Bobby Strong. The point is though, everyone in the cast gets a moment to shine and tickle your funny bone.





Urinetown is on at Studio 58 at Langara now until February 16. You can buy tickets here!

No comments:

Post a Comment