; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Noises Off

Tuesday 25 February 2020

Noises Off

I've always heard about the play Noises Off, but never got around to seeing it until this past weekend at the Stanley Theatre.


This farce started off pleasantly enough, with Act One laying the groundwork for what was to come. I normally leave a production during intermission if I am not enjoying it and don't want to waste my time. I almost left, not because I didn't enjoy Act One, but I wasn't sure where the show was headed and didn't feel all that engaged to stick around.

Act One introduces us to a group of actors who are working on their final dress rehearsal of a play, with interruptions from the director who floated around in the audience. Slightly amusing, yes? There were a few other funny moments as well, but just not enough to make me want to fully stay 100%. One critique I have is that I wish the actors had changed from their British accents while acting to a normal Westernized accent when they were just playing their actor counterpart. I feel like that would've helped separate them from when they were acting in the play within the play and when they were just being an actor.

Thankfully, I did stay for Act Two, and it seems this is where the punchline awaits. The set spins around to reveal the backstage part of the play within the play, and we get to see all the relationships happening between the actors and the ludicrous interactions they all have with one another. Lots of physical comedy had me guffawing and laughing along with the rest of the crowd.

I'm glad I finally managed to see this classic comic play before it closed this past weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment