; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Broadway Across Canada: Mean Girls

Sunday 28 January 2024

Broadway Across Canada: Mean Girls

 


Well my first show of the new year was Broadway Across Canada's Mean Girls at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. I am not a fan of the original movie, so maybe this musical was not meant for me. There were many in the audience dressed in pink and seemed to be super fans of the film. Basically, I found the show to be fairly meh. 

The songs were not memorable, and the storyline was even less entertaining for me than the movie was. At least the movie had the charisma of Rachel McAdams in it. The cast here were fine, but the material is just too fluff for my liking. 

I do applaud Broadway Across Canada for stepping up and trying to bring new stuff on tour such as shows like this and not the usual regular Les Miserables / Phantom of the Opera combos. 

Having caught the Saturday matinee yesterday, there was one memorable moment in the show that was unplanned when one of the set pieces flew off and hit the actress playing Gretchen in the face. The curtains came down and we had an unexpected intermission, with the understudy taking the stage after the show resumed. Assuming it was Kristen Amanda Smith who was injured, hopefully she is doing okay. 





No comments:

Post a Comment