; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Theatre Under the Stars: Matilda

Sunday 23 July 2023

Theatre Under the Stars: Matilda

The thought of going to a musical where much of the singing is done by children terrifies me. The only show I would go to willingly would be Annie, based on the strength of the songs. Plus they have Miss Hannigan! 

So when I learned that the alternate show at Theatre Under the Stars this year was going to be Matilda, I was not overly thrilled. But hey, give them a chance right? And boy am I glad I did!

If I was hankering for a dose of Miss Hannigan, well I got it in spades with Matilda's headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, played by Jyla Robinson. Add in a pair of hilariously child-hating parents, played by Victor Hunter & Madeleine Suddaby, and you've got a winning recipe for a terrific family night out! 

Siggi Kaldestad does a fantastic job portraying the lead character, Matilda, and brings new inspiration to young actors everywhere. 

Much like the counterpart show this season, The Prom, there is also a Netflix movie version of this musical, and it too falls flat in comparison to seeing it live, especially outdoors under a shimmering summer sky. 

Matilda is on now at Theatre Under the Stars until August 26! Don't miss out! 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment