; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: In The Heights

Saturday 9 May 2015

In The Heights

Beautiful. This is a beautiful and moving musical, done with extreme heart currently showing at the Stanley Theatre.


What is In The Heights about, I've been asked? I saw it on Broadway right before they won the Tony Award for Best Musical, and I didn't know how to describe it. I'd tell people it was about immigrants. But that didn't do it justice, nor was it 100% accurate. I'd say, it has hip hop and rap in it, which might turn off some, but the music isn't entirely like that either. There are beautiful ballads like Breathe and It Won't Be Long Now that will break your heart completely.

Sometimes I would say that In The Heights is about people who live in this neighbourhood of New York called Washington Heights where there's a big hispanic population. Still not exactly capturing the heart of the show, am I? 

After seeing the Arts Club Theatre's production of In The Heights last night, I was able to get a better sense of what the show might be "about."  If I had to tell someone, I'd say it was about community and family, how we disappoint one another and try to live up to each other's expectations, how we try to better ourselves, better our surroundings and help make the world we live in a better place. It's about taking chances and uniting as one and the complexities of love, socio-economics, culture, and life in general.

The cast, which are all locally sourced, do a tremendous job. They help bring a slice of this urban ghetto to Vancouver and allow us to reflect on our own experiences and opportunities and feel fortunate and thankful. In The Heights will raise you up, inspire you, and have you standing on your feet to applaud and share in the show's triumphs.

In The Heights is on now at the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage until June 7. Whatever you do, don't miss out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment