; Fun! Fun! Vancouver!: Bird

Wednesday 19 April 2023

Bird

 Maybe it's been done before, but for me, it was my first time seeing a stand-up comedy type act at the Cultch, and I think it's a genius move for them and they should have more of that! 



Kylie Vincent's BIRD is currently gracing the stage in the intimate Vancity Culture Lab space. With table seating at the front, we are taken into a cabaret style environment where all you need is a performer, a microphone, and a spotlight.

Kylie's BIRD is part memoir and part stand-up comedy. There were definitely some jokes that I laughed out loud to, and wish she had continued along those lines, especially with the more hard-core and politically incorrect stuff which I definitely appreciated. But she seemed a bit uncertain at some points, maybe it was nerves or maybe that's just her shtick? There were some animal analogies that took me a bit to get into, as I found it confusing at first. But given that the name of the show is BIRD, I was able to grasp onto what she was meaning. 

Discovered by The Cultch's Executive Director Heather Redfern during a trip to Edinburgh, Kylie was introduced to the crowd by an enthusiastic Redfern, who exclaimed that the show "blew her socks off!" 

Bird by Kylie Vincent is on now at The Cultch all week until April 22. 

No comments:

Post a Comment